Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Just say No

You've always been told growing up to just say "no" to drugs.
This post isn't about that. 
Although, do say "no" to drugs (unless it's prescribed drugs to help you walk, then go ahead and take those!)

I'm going to tell you something important about those with autoimmune diseases:

It takes us twice the amount of energy and strength that it takes you (a normal human being) to make it through the day. 

With that being said, it takes us twice the amount of time to recooperate from daily activites, or longer, depending on how much we exerted ourselves that day. 

It's important to understand that when we say "no" to something, it means that we don't have enough energy to do that something (unless that person just doesn't want to do it). 

With me, I like to make people happy. I like to see people smile, so if they ask me to do something, I'll do whatever I can possible to help them out or join them. 

But when I say "no", I mean it. Not because I don't want to hangout or help you, but it's because I have no more energy left to give. 

Those of you that are reading this and don't have an autoimmune disease, don't take this as a, "oh I need to stop asking them to help or to do things". 
No. Don't do that. Ask anyway, but if they say "no", then understand that it could possibly be because they are exhausted. 

Also, don't confuse this with them just being a lazy person. 

I'll be the first one to go put on my sweats and hoodie and lay on the couch. Half of that is because I like to relax. The other half of that is because I'm so worn out from the day.

So it's totally ok to say "no" to things if you're not feeling it. 
No one is gonna blame you.
No one is gonna be mad at you. 
And if they are, send them to me because they really have no right to get mad.

The way I like to see it is that we only have so much energy and we are gonna put that into the things that are most important to us. We have to choose what those important things are and some days, certain activites are more important than others.
Sometimes, if we know we have something big coming up or something stressful, we need to save our strength and energy for that. 

It's a game of chance every single day. 
You never know what you're gonna get, how you're gonna feel, or how far you can push yourself.
The secret to winning?

The day I figure that out, I'll let you know. 

I can tell you to:
Just keep you're head up 
and
Don't waste your strength and energy on people or things that don't provide a positive outcome for you. 
If you do those two things, you'll be just fine :)




No comments:

Post a Comment