Thursday, August 28, 2014

Anything Men can do, a woman with a disability can do better!

There's a lot going on in the media today about Feminism. Apparently nobody will listen unless Beyonce has it in bright letters behind her while she twerks on stage, yay Feminisim! Is there something wrong with that statement?
Yes.
But that's not the reason I'm talking about it today.
I've always thought that I'm somewhat of a feminist, I mean which woman born in this century isn't?
Don't answer that question because yes, I realize there are some ladies who disagree.
I'm not a hardcore not shave my legs no bra type of feminist.
I'm the type who wants to be treated the same as men. I want to be given the same opportunities that men get, equal pay, and to be seen not as an object, but as a person.




Now, I'll be the first to admit that a guy should be respectful and open doors and offer to pay and whatnot.
Does that mean I'm a hypocrite?
No, because I'm going to offer to pay, open a door if he's close to me, and everything else.
Once again, this is not why I'm talking about this, I just wanted to go ahead and get my thoughts and opinions out of the way before I actually get to the real stuff.

So, everyone knows about the glass ceiling for women and how they have to jump all the obstacles that society puts in front of them.
But what about a woman with a disability?
In the eyes of society, she's twice as disqualified as a man is, is she not?
Not only is she seen as weak and incompetent, but now she has a disability that makes her useless.
Please realize that these are not my views, we all know I am both a woman and have a disability! :)
It's just something that people don't realize when they think of feminism or glass ceilings.
They think of the regular able-bodied woman who is able to do everything a man can do...if not better.
But what about the disabled woman (who in my case can do everything a man can do...if not better) who has limitations with what she can and can't do? Why aren't we thinking about her? Why aren't we empowering her?

How do we empower her, you ask?
The same way we empower women as a whole.
Granted, us regular people don't need bright signs or twerking bodies to do so.
We need to bring awareness to the issue.
We need to shine the bright light that is the American's Disability Act, as well as showing that she is a strong woman despite her disability.

Next time you are feeling the girl power and think about how badly and unfairly women are treated in society, not only here...but around the world...think about disabled women.

If you think you are seen as weak, imagine how they feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment