Sunday, June 28, 2015

A dream is a wish

It's been a week since kid's arthritis camp and I have to say that this was one of the best years ever.
Not only was it Disney themed which totally rocked, but the kids were awesome! 

I mean, they are awesome every year, but there was just something special about this year. 

Like every year at camp we have a DJ come and the naval base sends over some military guys and gals to spend the night dancing and having fun with the kids. 

We normally last like 45 minutes...maybe. This year, we had like a 2 hour dance. 

All the kids participated, as did all of the counselors! 

I really don't know how any of us were able to walk the next day lol! 

But the really cool thing about that night was that we had a few people come and help the girls get ready. Just like the bibbity boppity boutique....minus having to pay 100 and something dollars for the "disney experience" :)

I can't tell you how excited the girls were to get all dressed up like real princesses! 
There were some in pirate gear too! 

3 days full of magic happened and I wasn't even at Disney.

Yes I love camp because it allows the kids to hangout and talk to others like them. It's great that they get the chance to realize that they aren't alone. But I love camp even more because it allows them the chance to be normal. 

Here they aren't worried what others are going to think because they are thinking the same thing. 
Camp give them the chance to not have to explain themselves for once in their lives. I had (still have actually) a red mustache rash from one of my meds or part of my psoriasis and nobody asked why. It was great because if I was anywhere else and when I got home and went places, people stared like I had a contagious disease. At camp, everything is normal!

Oh they have to go take pills now....
Instead of having to tell their friends why, their friends are taking the same thing!

Their doctor also comes out 2 of the 3 days of camp, just to hangout. He does crafts with them, talks to them, and even dances with them! 

How many people can say that they danced the cha cha slide with their doctor?

It truly is a hands on experience.

I started this blog because I wanted to give people an inside look at what it's like growing up with a chronic illness. I also wanted to bring awareness to Arthritis. 

I want people to see how much of a positive influence kids camp is. 
I want more camps.
I want more people to know about how kids are affected. 
I want to find more ways in which we can help them beat this. 

This is my dream.
This is my wish.
Now to just make that reality! 

Here is an awesome pic of myself, Counselor Tricia, and Counselor Austin rocking our awesome Peter Pan pose! 

By the way, this picture was taken by Cat Outzen. She's the awesome person who runs camp every year. There needs to be more people like her out there in the world! Go like Sacred Heart Children's Hospital's page on facebook to see more pics and learn more about this awesome camp and other camps like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment