Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Who am I? I am...

Everyone goes through some sort of time in there life when they are trying to figure out who they are and who they want to be. Luckily for me, I've never had trouble knowing the answer to either of those questions.

Who am I?
Well I'm Kara, of course!
No, really...
I am:
A daughter who does her best to make her parents proud of her
A sister to 3 younger brothers and 2 cousins who think of me like their sister
A fighter when it comes to something that means a lot to me
A friend who will go above and beyond to do something for the people I love
An optimist (for the most part, however lately it hasn't been so true)
A believer (happily ever afters DO exist, just like hogwarts and unicorns)
A Dreamer (the things that happen inside my brain would crack you up)
A helper (why else would I be in the field I'm in?)
A Disney freak, a whovian, a marvel superhero in training, and a potterhead (aka a nerd)
I'm the goody-goody, the people pleaser, the no-conflict-please girl
I love movies (I have a pretty awesome collection)
I could get lost in the lyrics to songs and fall in between the lines of books
I'm an athlete and sports enthusiast.
I am a person with a disability

There are probably that could go here but notice that last one.
It came last.
I am a person with a disability. It's a part of who I am, but it does not define who I am. While these were not in any order, this was how I thought about them as I was writing this. All of these things make up who I am a as a person, but no one thing defines me. I don't introduce myself, " Hi, I'm kara I believe in magical things and I have a chronic illness"

That person would think that I'm psycho...and I am just a little...but that's not the point. I don't want people remembering me for how many pills I take a day (13 if you wanted to know) or for how many doctors appointments I have in one month. I want people to know me for my character, for how responsible I am, or for how much I love everyone around me.

That's who I am.

Now for the second question Who do I want to be...
Well, I already kind of answered that for you above, but I'll elaborate a bit more.

I want to help others. I want to show them the magical wonderful world I believe in, when sadness is all around them. I want to show them that they can believe in themselves, as much as I believe in them. I want to be the type of person, like my papa, that was remembered for the smiles he brought to peoples faces, for the joy he brought into others lives, and for the help he gave them. That's who I want to be. If I can change the way someone thinks or feels about something, if I can help them get through even the smallest of problems, if I can make them smile when they want to cry, then I will know that every pain, every heartache, and every tear went toward something that could possible change someone in some way.

That's who I want to be.

If you sit down and look at your life and think about who you are and who you want to be, what do you see? Are you that person? It's not too late to start trying.

With all the negativity in my life lately and just bad things happening in general, it's nice to remind myself of my goals and ideas of what I want.

I encourage you to do the same.

Don't let something as simple as a chronic illness (yes, I did say simple there) define who you are or who you want to be.

You get to choose, now all you have to do is make that change.

No comments:

Post a Comment