Sunday, April 6, 2014

Keep Calm and Let it Go.

I haven't written in a while and in a moment I'll tell you why. Not in hopes that you'll feel sorry for me, but in hopes that it will help make my point at the end.

Resilience.

  1. re·sil·ience
    riˈzilyəns/
    noun
    noun: resilience; plural noun: resiliences
    1. the ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape; elasticity.

    2. the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.

The past 2 weeks have been insane. 
I've gotten in a wreck (I'm fine, but my bumper ended up in the middle of the road), My great grandparents have been sick, My grandpa is still fighting despite everything being against him, I've been working out (like running stadiums and on the treadmill) trying to lose weight to fit into a dress that won't zip when I have 13 days before it needs to, School is insane with finals and internship/practicum coming up, and it's just been a day to day making it kind of thing. 

Two things that all of that have in common is: resilience and me.

I got a compliment a few weeks ago from the professor I'm working with to put together a presentation for next years ACA conference. She told me that after reading all of the research that we've been looking at on children and adolescents with chronic illnesses, she's truly amazed at my resilience. She said that reading the information that people can go two ways: they can choose to give in or they can fight it and push through and it made an impression on her when I showed up in her class barely able to move with no makeup on, but I was there because nothing was going to stop me from doing what I needed to do. (This is totally the time I was referring to from one of my older posts). 

To me there is only one option.
I've got to push through and move onto the next thing, whether that be difficult things or easy things. 

I could have just crawled in bed and hid from the world after my wreck or any of the things above. 
But I didn't. 

I went and got a rental car after taking my car to the shop and I made it to my next class. 

I have to prove to myself and to others that nothing is going to stop or slow me down. 

I don't normally say a lot of negative things on here because I like to keep things sunny side up (fellow princess diary fans will get the joke!), but it kills me...no it doesn't kill me, it literally upsets me when you have people like my grandpa who had back surgery then THE NEXT DAY go and  take my little cousin out to dinner for her birthday when he's smiling through the pain versus people who don't show up to class or work or make excuses because they don't want to get out in the rain or they have better things to do or they've had a bad day.

Everyone has bad days, but it's up to you if you want to be resilient. 
Do you want to give in or do you want to come out feeling like, "heck yeah I just beat that!"
Which one are you?

This post is titled Keep calm and let it go because that's what you have to do in bad situations.
Those are two steps that help me bounce back and recover to move on with my day.

You must keep calm, breathe, and realize that it's not the end of the world. 
You must also let it go, because sometimes things are out of your control.

I mean, if you haven't heard it enough, go listen to Queen Elsa sing it and maybe you'll listen to her. 
When she's singing "the cold never bothered me anyway", she is meaning that because if she shoots ice out of her hands, the cold probably doesn't bother her anyway. 

However, you can also take that as the bad situation that she's in doesn't bother her because she's come to accept that she can't do anything about it....She's letting it go.

I totally just did that. 
I'm now laughing at myself while I write this.
You're welcome.

In all seriousness though, you need to think about the situations that you're in (this whole post doesn't apply to just people will illness BTW) and realize that you can be resilient through them. You'll recover, the world won't end, and you'll come out with some scrapes and bruises...but you'll survive. 

Just remember...
Keep Calm and Let it Go :)


No comments:

Post a Comment