Monday, October 13, 2014

Life's Tough, Get a Helmet

I must apologize for my extended absence, life has been getting in the way of everything these days.
Actually, school has been getting in the way of everything these days.
Don't get me wrong, I love it....
It's just slowly chipping away at my sanity which is really great because I'm the one who's supposed to be sane helping those in my position.

Life is funny like that.

It's also not fair.

But then again we were taught that at a young age right along with the "Because I said so" line.

We had to do a little assignment in my first semester of graduate school about what are top 5 dream jobs would be if we didn't have anything holding us back or in the way.

Well, here are mine:
CEO of Disney (because we all know I would rock that job)
A Professional Lego Builder (have you seen my collection?!)
An Author (that's what happens when you grow up the librarian's granddaughter)
A tour manager (cough cough Taylor Swift I'm free whenever)
The Doctor's Companion (We all know that's a hard job, for those of you who don't know what this is, it's a doctor who thing)

Thing is, I could probably try for one or two on that list...

But the majority of those aren't stable enough for my reality.

I need insurance, I need to make enough to pay for my medicine and doctors appointments, and I need a job that is flexible for when I flare.

Life is not fair for a lot of people.

But when you're diagnosed at 6 years old, that isn't the first thing that pops into your head.
As a matter of fact, that thought didn't pop into my head until I wasn't able to play the sports that I loved.

Yes I'm stressed and going crazy, but my point isn't to sit here and bring up all the negatives in my life or to make you think about the negatives in yours.

It's to make you think a different way.

For those who love Cory and Topanga and who have seen every episode of Boy Meets World, like me, then you'll understand this.




Eric is telling his little brother that he needs to get used to the fact that life is gonna suck sometimes, he's telling him to get thicker skin, to get a helmet.

Well, yeah, that's true...but I like his helmet idea (at this point you're thinking I've jumped off the deep end, but I promise you as a counselor, I've declared myself mentally stable).

Get a helmet. Protect yourself.
Now you're saying "Kara you told us you take risks"
Yes, I do.
But protect yourself from the negativity.

Yes I need a job that will provide me with a stable income and insurance, thank goodness I found counseling because it's not only something I love but it provides me with just that.

Yes I can't be CEO of Disney, but I can go whenever I want.

Yes I can't be Taylor Swift's Tour manager, but I can still be her biggest fan (her album drops 2 weeks from today)

Yes I might be in pain, but at least I'm feeling something.

Yes I may never get to be on the Ellen show to talk about my new book or how the doctor saved the world again, but I can sure as heck still dance with her while she's on tv.

When the "tough skin" helmet doesn't work, get a new one.
Try the "positivity helmet" or the "friends"helmet or the "netflix" helmet (that's my favorite).

See my point is to find a different outlook on things because life isn't fair and it's not going to change.

If I had wasted my time years ago thinking how doomed I was that I had this disability, then how depressed would I be today.

You have to focus on what you do have, what you can accomplish, and how far you've come.

I remind myself of those things when I'm having a crappy day.

I'm lucky enough to have 12 different helmets of all shapes, sizes, and strengths that help me walk and move around every single day.

In fact, tonight is shot night.

Life isn't fair, but it gives us little things along the way to help protect us and give us the strength to get through those rough days.

The next time you think the phrase "life isn't fair", I want you to think of things that you have that other's don't.

Most people call this counting their blessings, but Eric Matthews is just reminding you to put on a helmet.


Disclaimer Note: While I have declared myself mentally stable, I am not a licensed counselor and this idea of helmets and blessings have nothing to do with the ABC or Disney broadcasting companies. Although one day when I'm CEO, that might change....
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment